Being a parent is hard. Like, SO hard. The hardest thing I’ve ever done. If you’re a parent as well, you have my deepest empathy.
Parenting while under any type of stress is even harder. Whether it be illness, money (or lackthereof), or school/work related, stress is stress.
This is why I have compiled a (very) short list of what is acceptable if you have been sick, if it’s a snow day, or if there is any “suspect” weather outside. “Suspect” weather can include, snow, sleet, rain, too cold, too hot, or any variation that makes you decide that you want to stay your ass inside. Everyone needs an excuse, let this be yours:
- Being on the iPad (tablet, LeapPad, whichever variation you so choose) longer than may be deemed healthy- Don’t let those “experts” fool you. If its between your sanity and their short-term educational health, CHOOSE YOUR SANITY.
- Watching T.V. longer than may be deemed healthy- Literally the same explanation as for the aforementioned iPad. Sanity over EVERYTHING.
- Ordering take-out, pizza, or fast food- Your kids will be happy, you will be happy, your bellies will all be full, there’s literally no downside to this.
- Not changing out of your PJ’s- This is particularly essential for the days that you, yourself are sick.
- Not changing your children out of their PJ’s- This is particularly essential for the days that they are sick. Who wants to do double the laundry (for a poo or puke related illness) any way?
- Changing directly out of PJ’s and into sweats (“Home clothes” I call them)- At least you’re actually changing clothes here. You are being both productive AND comfy, again, literally no downside here.
- Not cleaning up after yourselves- SAVE THE CLEANING FOR WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE IT. Much like the SAVE THE WHALES message, but with your peace of mind in mind.
And last, but not least…
8. Not judging yourself for any and all of these- This parenting shit is hard. so. hard.
This is an actual picture of my children not giving a shit about my bad parenting